Saturday, January 15, 2011

Another Vindication of our Rights

About a month back, I was travelling from college to home in a metro. Because it was rush hour, and more because its empty than other reasons, I was sitting in the ladies carriage. The other coaches in the metro were so full there was barely any space to stand. So a lot of men started entering the ladies carriage and standing, initially near the interlinking of the two coaches, later they came in nearly halfway. Needless to say, this was considered a violation of womanly space and everyone felt very uncomfortable. Old ladies started whispering to each other, but no one really said anything out loud. Then at the next stop came in this middle-aged lady who asked the men to move as soon as she entered. The men didn't, quite typically. She repeated, to no effect. By now her action had given everyone else the required spark, and all the women started talking together and shouting at the men. Still no effect. Then the Bond lady took out her phone, and proclaiming that she was calling the next metro station, she dialled a number. Men started moving out immediately. But there were still the obstinate types, confident in I-know-not-what who stuck around. The call went through and the woman started complaining; turned out there's a very heavy fine for entering the women's compartment, this amount on being spoken out aloud by the lady, nearly all the men moved out.

And so the Bond lady saved the day. When this incident began, I was hesitant about saying anything as I didn't expect them to come in halfway, plus I had to get off in 10 minutes. But after that particular woman shook things up, I felt immensely ashamed, and I thought that this inertia, and this reluctance to take initiative is what plagues Indians, and more so women. And I, an educated woman of today, fully aware of this situation, again chose to not do anything to change things.

Coming back to the point, the attitude of that woman, and her zeal is worth emulating, and indeed is what is required to direct change in society. All this might sound very preachy, but I know of no other way to put it, and yet I have to say it, if only just for myself and nobody else.

I'll end this post by saying, very simply, that I will try to not sit down and accept everything, and will take action and show strength.

No comments: