Thursday, January 13, 2011

After the Sojourn

Yes, yes, I know it's been long. Very long indeed. Through project submissions to project presentations to the end-all of exams, the semester's come to an end, and I'm still wondering where it went. But the holidays have been good. The birthday on 10th was different, none of the usual fluttery celebrations or childish gift-shopping this time, girl's turned nineteen, time to act grown-up. Lol.

Have you ever woken up on a morning brighter than usual, the sun ablaze and yet not warm, woken up to the sound of someone playing sweet music in the background and just felt incredibly light, and incredibly new inside? Well, I have. It's like nature is giving you a signal that bad things have happened, and bad things are going to happen in future too, but this one morning, this one moment, it's all good: life's beautiful, and you need to see that beauty, you need to recognise that you can make it all okay just by wanting to make it okay.

I read Osho occasionally, on one such occasion Osho said that when you're feeling an emotion, however pure or strong, don't label it. Don't say 'I'm happy, or I'm ecstatic', because words have a certain meaning and therefore a certain scope, happy means a feeling which is more than dull, and less than festive. He said when you're just feeling an emotion it doesn't know a range, the feeling can change, grow, or lessen. but when you put a label, you confine it to a range from where it cannot grow. And that's obviously not good when you're feeling good. Somehow I see great truth in this simple logic, and I do try to follow it. Not when it's a negative feeling, of course, and you want to stub it right there, when it's a little unpleasant so it never gets too big.

So that's what I did that morning, I just looked out of the window, saw a bright day, listened to the music, and  then, with my heart full of colourful butterflies, I turned and went off to sleep again. That was a nice day. :)

No comments: