Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Disillusionment (I)

Today I saw another Delhi

I saw a Delhi semi-urban semi-rural

A Delhi that doesn't show the grandiose of a metro

I saw a place with narrow roads

I saw a place where houses still have hand-pumps outside

I saw a place where women still wash the porch themselves

I saw a place where men in vests still lounge around outside the house
Sitting on charpais
Squatting flies

I saw a place where little boys in torn shorts play on the road with marbles
While the little girls sit inside

A place where they educate their daughters just so they can get a better groom

A place where they may not have heard of fancy words like 'biotechnology' or 'USB drive'

A place where the woman is still expected to be subservient and obedient

I saw a place where boys our age sit in dilapidated rooms playing carrom.

I saw roofs of tin
Breathed the smoke of stoves

I saw the walls of mud
Felt the apathy of their minds.

Unfortunately, I saw the real India.

No comments: