Thursday, May 13, 2010

Now

Hello

So yes I got a site yesterday. And yes, I was excited. And yes, I was disappointed. There are no good widgets; you have useless stuff like weather and all. I mean come on who goes to someone's site to check the weather? Although this factor did not stop me from adding it :P

The interface is so un-user-friendly I don't even feel like updating it. I wish blogspot would offer sites. They are so clear in their designs; wordpress (god knows how its so popular) is so messed up.

Anyway, enough complaining for one post.

I watched Zubeidaa yesterday. For those of you who don't know, its an old Karisma Kapoor movie set around partition but not actually on it. Its about this Muslim girl who gets divorced by her husband because their fathers have an altercation. Silly? Definitely. Sad thing is, women throughout our civilisation have put up with such nonsense. And they refuse to support women who want to fight against dogma. Its like crabs who pull each other down to prevent them from getting out of the jar.

Anyhow she then falls in love with this king played by Manoj Bajpai, whom she later marries. So she's this girl who's voluble and beautiful and extremely temperamental because of which she feels like a chained bird in a cage with bars of royal customs and propriety and rules of conduct. When I had seen it as a kid, I'd perceived her to be the good girl and Bajpai's first wife (Mandira Devi) to be the bad woman. But yesterday, since I have grown up and I realise how some conventions need to be followed and how its harder to be disciplined than not, I saw Mandira Devi as the good one who has to put up with the rebellious and moody Zubeidaa; who in turn appeared to me to be without any sense or stability or any real, strong character. She was stubborn, volatile, selfish, and without insight or restraint. Funny how our perception changes over the years!

Its like this line in a song she performs in the movie:
Pagli hawayein mujhe jahaan bhi le jaye 
In hawaon ki saheli hoon main

Being like this might seem cool initially, but if one's nature were really like this, it would be a nightmare for everyone around, I think. By the way, there's a beautiful song called so gaye in the movie with awesome music. Do listen.

Movies like this and Pinjar are so beautiful and emotional that they leave you with this sadness which stays and gets aroused whenever you recall them.

Changing topic, I hate summers. Enough said.

No comments: